Sunday, September 08, 2024

KNEES

 Once I had two strong, firm friends

Who lived halfway up my legs.

They never betrayed me,

They always supported me;

And my legend alleges

That they allowed me,

When I was only aged three

Push my own pushchair

Eleven miles along

A Cornish cliff path.

Later they ascended

Carrying me

Onwards and upwards

To the tops of the Cairngorm plateau,

Likewise the summit of mount Vihren.

Then they propelled

My bicycle across France,

From Channel to Pyrenees.

Oh, what wonderful knees.

Until arthritis and laziness struck

And I was cursed with pain

That got worse and worse.

Now only one knee remains.

The left left replaced

By plastic and metal

While the right grinds

Whilst I am hobbling on

Lonlier,

Now that one of my friends

Has gone.

 

No comments: