Friday, September 16, 2011

THE DRAINING BOARD

I used to fly,
High above the world,
And float free of time,
Like some starwinged eagle;
But I was just
An ape opening an atlas
To see
Maps of the tides of history.
Tribes and empires;
Ostrogoths, Visigoths, Huns, Alans
And Picts depicted
And printed on paper plans
Denoted and defined
By differing cross hatchings.
On each new page
A new era

Now I don’t even have
To open a book.
Whilst I wait for my tea kettle to boil,
I look
At the bloblules and globules
At the rivulets and dribulets
Of water in the indentations
Of a kitchen sink draining board.
Gravity and history make them coalesce and flow
Like tribes and empires,

One among many
May suddenly gain momentum
And surges on
A rampant conquering superblob
Absorbing all others
In its path,
Until it mostly careers
Headfirst down the plughole
Leaving scattered remanents behind
Like a kingdom
That once was
And now is gone.

I pour water
And some spills
Onto the draining board
So history starts up
All over again.

No comments: