Wednesday, August 31, 2011

my radio is always lying to me about food

With deductive powers,
That would put Sherlock to shame
I looked out from my kitchen window
And as I heard the city coming awake
With its trafficflow starting
Making a sound like the sea
Washing through shingle on beach
And likewise thoughts
 Begin to flow in my head
As I sipped the tea
And realised
That my radio is always lying to me about food

“No” a farmer says "I could not live
Just by selling the meat and veg that I make,
The government must pay me.
People will not buy expensive food,
They’d rather buy computers instead.”

An hour later,
The radio reports from Africa
People are walking for weeks there,
Not stopping to buy
Even the cheapest computer
As they struggle across
The hottest desert on earth
Walking on and on
Or stopping to lie down and die
Until they reach the place
 Where they are given the food
That they could not afford to buy

Two hours later
It is time for another
Radio lie about food
A store manager says it is no good
Demand just will not restart
Try as he might
He cannot make
People want computers enough to buy them
When they’re spending all their money on food

And now and then or some other when
The sun comes up and warms a solar panel
In the cave mouth
So a radio turns itself on
To tell more lies about food
To a conference of human bones
That is being held amongst
 The ashes on the cave floor.                                          

No comments: