Wednesday, August 02, 2023

I saved a suicidal spider,

 I saved a suicidal spider,

Which was poised to plunge

Into the torrent of steaming water,

Swirling in my kitchen sink.

I intervened with a piece of cardboard

To prevent its dive

Over the sink’s brink.

 

Then I was smug,

And I savoured my smugness.

I saw myself as the great godlike,

Arachnid saviour.

Until realising that, most likely,

There was no saviour for me,

Or the billions of my species,

About to be swept away in floods

Or scorched to death in droughts and fires,

That we ourselves created.

We have always prayed

To some god or gods,

To anything or nothing.

But if he, she, it or they are there,

They might not care,

Or might think it only fair,

That the consequences 

Which we’ve engineered

Finish us off for good.

Furthermore, we only have two legs each,

Unlike our eight-legged successors,

Who will scuttle over our ruins,

Not remembering us at all.

 

No comments: