Wednesday, January 18, 2023

DAWN OVER DOLLIS HILL

 Cold wakes me,

I swing my legs over

The edge of the bed

And shiver

When my bare feet touch

The cold floor.

I stagger along the corridor

I glance out of the kitchen window

And see why

The god of Christmas cards

woke me early.

A bright crescent moon

Shines in a blue-black sky

Above the lights across the valley

A bright necklace strung along the ridge

Red warning lights

On cranes and towers

Yellow lights shining through the windows

Of the flats

Of those up late or rising early

 

A little later, now washed and brushed,

I look out of the kitchen window again

The moon has almost faded all away

The sun is rising again

Over a frosted metropolis

To wish winter good morning’

‘Old friend

I’ve come to show you

The beginning of your end.’

No comments: