Thursday, October 19, 2023

THE AUTUMN CONFERENCE OF THE GREEN PARTY OF ENGLAND AND WALES 2023

Is there a vegetable scent in the air?

Or falafel, or even vegan cheese,

That wafts through this shiny conference hall,

On the air-conditioned breeze?

It swirls around me as I sit at my stall,

With the leaflets, the books and the badges,

It‘s the smell of no real politics at all,

From those who look in from the edges.

This event would be like a children’s crusade,

But often shorts-clad legs show knobbly knees,

Supporting grey haired heads that are full to the brim,

With buzzing obsessional bees.

Then a younger generation is here as well,

Urgent, smooth and ambitious

To make political careers and bureaucratic machines,

By rigged agendas and cliquish seditions.

I sit and observe from my pamphlet-laden table.

I’ve lost interest in spurious debates,

Between the intersecting factions, all unable

To save this planet from its climactic fates.

So like refuges on a rudderless boat,

We cling on, because we daren’t jump out,

As we randomly drift, and stay barely afloat,

To some new land we all dream about.

No comments: