Friday, August 09, 2019

English Nostalgia disease.


I’ve got maladies and ailments,
Some are chronic, some sporadic,
Some hang around, some come and go,
But when I see the past through a golden glow,
It’s worse than diabetes, or arthritis in the knees.
I have contracted English
Nostalgia disease.
I want to go back to the glorious nineteen fifties,
When all foreigners were either,
Traditionally quaint,
Or inherently shifty;
When all Englishmen were
Calm and rational, always just and fair,
And if anyone said otherwise,
They pretended not to hear.
Curing this nonsense illness is difficult to crack,
Whenever I think it’s gone,
It comes creeping back
And I want a no deal Brexit
And to get the empire back.
English Nostalgia has infected
My whole culture;
And it’s not the only one
To contract this xenophobia
To want the past to be the future,
Which makes no sense because,
It believes in a past
That never ever was.

No comments: