Tuesday, July 02, 2019

the Americas,


When I went to Bulgaria,
They thought that I came from America;
Maybe because of the blue denim jeans,
That I wore.
I had a pair since I was nine, or, maybe, before,
Because I wanted to be a cool boy,
To look like a cowboy,
As I galloped on my imaginary pony
Across the tarmac prairies,
Of a west London school playground.
I would put two fingers together
And make the ‘peow-peow’ noises,
Of a television gunslinger’s six-shooter
America had colonised me, culturally.
Then after the TV westerns, the music got me:
Although I preferred the cynics and the critics,
To the romantics.
Steely Dan, Little Feat and Frank Zappa
Blew my small island mind.
But now I know
That it was always just the.U.S.A.,
And mainly the Anglos;
But, there are many more Americas,
With many different dreams,
To those pouring out of
My stereo speakers and video screens.

No comments: