Monday, July 29, 2024

I WISH THAT MY DUSTBIN WAS THE DUSTBIN OF HISTORY

Once in a while, I poke my nose outside of my front door,

That’s almost all that I can do any more.

I step out onto a city street,

Where herring gulls scream in the sky,

And cranes slowly turn above the rooftops;

Building more storage flats for workers,

So that they can eat, sleep, wake and work again.

I drag dustbins around to assigned locations,

Now that my detritus has been taken away.

But something has been left behind today,

A soggy bag of shiny magazines

Commemorative editions

Full of pictures of the new king and the old queen.

And their crowns, palaces, shiny white teeth and offsprings.

I delight in hurling these images into my dustbin.

I’m sad that I can only throw away photos.

 

 

No comments: